Sunday, September 21, 2014

My Journey to Financial Freedom Part 2

Welcome to the Entrepreneurial World! - The First Failure

There were a lot of challenges within our family and my experience gave me the passion to serve in the business world as I literally hounded heaven for a clear answer.

Realizing that I would not be able to get to my dreams for myself, my family and my country if I would be working forever as an employee and would not even be able to help A LOT of people if I don’t have enough to share and solely relying on my paycheck, I decided to look for a vehicle that could get me to the real world of Entrepreneurship. Some say I could start a SMALL BUSINESS but I don’t see it as a fast vehicle to my dreams. I don’t see myself being able to do it ALONE. 

After I graduated college, I started to look for a job, with one vision in mind -- to SAVE money in order to raise a capital to start my own small business. I've been considering franchising a siomai and fishball cart back then.

It was September 2009 when my boss introduced me to Network Marketing. I was a “kidnapped invite” meaning, I was invited to this network marketing company without any knowledge that I would be given a business presentation. Being really enthusiastic about putting up my own business, I was an easy sign-up and invested around 24k half from a loan offered by my boss and the other half from my savings, without the knowledge and consent of my parents.

I went home with a bag of expensive supplements, seeing the look of HORROR in their faces telling me I’m crazy. Since in network marketing, there are various levels of income rewards, I was “coerced to invest and hyped” to upgrade my investment to what they call 3-business center, so I invested an additional 15K I loaned from my Tito, bringing the total investment to 39K in an understanding that the bigger I invest, the bigger the business and income opportunity. After 2 months of being “coerced to invest and hyped” to do the business, I got sick and tired of doing it. Why? Because of the following reasons (based only on my strong opinion and experience):

1.  These network marketers taught me to deceive people. I was told to “invite” my friends through deception. Let me quote their famous line: “Dahil ngauumpisa ka palang at hindi mo pa kaya ipaliwanag ang negosyo na ito, wag ka na magpaliwanag kung saan mo sila dadalhin dahil sigurado negative ang mga yan.” I was advised to invite friends to dinner but instead, bring them in for a “hyped up” business presentation. I was told not to mention the company name whenever I invite.

2.   I was taught to “coerce and hype” people and “recruit” them as down lines. I was taught to offer fake part-time jobs in order to recruit people.

3.   I lost some of my friends because of that “deceptive” way of inviting people to partner with you in a business.

4.   Binary network marketing schemes involve more recruitment rather than product movement.

5.   I got deprived of the PROPER business training I needed to succeed in this business because their trainings are usually limited to those who are already doing well in the business, those who are already called “top-earners.” That got me questioning how will those who don’t excel succeed when they don’t give proper training?

6.    Money is their only purpose. Desiring to be rich to be able to buy a house, an expensive car and other material stuffs is their driving force.

7.    My core values are not aligned with theirs.

I stopped doing the business. I felt I was a victim. It never worked on me and I got stuck in a bad business debt and it was the first time in my life that I ever felt broke. I've always been thrifty and "Kuripot" so having all of my savings wiped out from the initial investment and getting in a deep debt made me feel so sad. But I never blamed anyone because it was a personal decision that I abruptly made without consulting anyone who knows about Network Marketing. By the way, the company was USANA (Sorry for name dropping, I just had to!). Don't get me wrong, I see some friends who succeeded doing USANA business and I'm happy for your success and that you inspire others to succeed as well. But I also know some who quit. I also heard some of my friends who also became "victims" of their deceptive inviting strategy like giving a job opening in iAcademy, etc. (To USANA distributors, if you really believe in the beauty of your company, I urge you to stop the deceptive inviting strategy.)

 
It was October 2009 when I met a business community that teaches aspiring entrepreneurs to establish their own business in a non-traditional setting, think of a Masteral school minus the expensive tuition fees. I would say that I finally got what I have been looking for – a team of mentors and entrepreneurs whom I share the same dreams and vision. I finished their wealth courses that gave me insight on how I could properly handle my finances so I would be able to recover from a bad investment. I was also enlightened more about why Network Marketing is still a good business to start into despite the negative experience I’ve had. I was able to raise a 100K capital from zero using the art of leverage taught by my coaches and mentors. I enrolled in the Life Entrepreneurship Program and started my Stage 1 Innovative Franchising Business through another Network Marketing Company. Yes, you read it right. Another network marketing company. 

To be continued. 

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. Psalm 1:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

And my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. - Phillipians 4:19